The CORIA Project

The Finds

Corbridge proved extremely rich in terms of the finds produced by the excavations and most of the material that can now be seen in the site museum comes from the 1906-14 Corstopitum campaign.

Amongst the most notable finds are the inscribed and sculpted stones, many of which were re-used in buildings or as part of the foundations for the Stanegate, the road that runs east to west across the central portion of the site. The most significant piece is arguably the Corbridge Lion, a funerary sculpture re-used as a fountain in a high-quality building usually identified as a mansio or way-station. It is, however, only one of several stones lions from the site.

Large amounts of pottery were recovered, both fine samian wares used as tableware and the more common everyday coarse wares used for cooking and storage. Glass vessels were also found in abundance.

Reflecting its military origins, Corbridge produced weaponry and other pieces of military equipment, tools, and civilian metal artefacts. Excavations in the waterlogged ditches of the early forts even produced pieces of woodwork (including tent pegs).

Most of the finds from the early excavations are owned by the Corbridge Excavation Fund, originally set up in 1907, and are loaned to English Heritage's Hadrian's Wall Museums for display or storage in the site museum at Corbridge.

Corbridge Lion